Monday 11 April 2011

Heading Home




It’s Monday and breezy on deck but I did get up early today and go for a swim.  At 8.00am I thought that I would be the only one in the pool but two others had beaten me to it.   The wind was really whipping across the deck but at least the pool was warm and over the course of the next 20 minutes I managed to do 30 lengths, a combination of breaststroke and thrashing around on my back.  I was reluctant to come out to be honest as I knew that I had to scurry across the open deck to get to my clothes but then it was into the warm shower.  I may have mentioned it before but I really like the deck showers, the cubicles are large, the water is hot and the jets are powerful – their only drawback is that they have a liquid soap dispenser that contains pretty smelly stuff and is hard to push.  Maybe next time I will remember to take my Dove for Men and our shampoo and conditioner.
We had an interesting evening yesterday because at 6.00pm we had to dress up in our finest to attend a Portunus party – free drinks whoopee! Then it was on to the lobster tail dinner and another meeting with what our now our good friends Peter and Kay Nash before heading into the theatre to see an entertainer “who can get a tune out of anything.”  It was an OK show, he wasn’t up to Roy Castle standards and when he brought out his penny whistle to play some Irish tunes the lady in front of us put her hands over her ears while the man next to her turned his hearing aid off!  For us it was a late night as we went from the theatre to the Crow’s Nest to see a trio plus lady singer who entertained us with ballads and we were there until nearly 11.00pm!  The singer was super and she sang one of my favourites, an Eva Cassidy title called Songbird – I spoke with her afterwards to find out if she sang Fields of Gold which I think is the best track on the album, but she is still learning that one.  Maybe we will see her on another cruise and hear it then.
The reason that I am blogging early today, apart from the fact that I was up early, is that our fingerprint man was early as well, this time putting on his lecture at 10.00am in the Theatre Royal which is a much better forum for him.  For a start it is much warmer in there than in the Pacific Room but more importantly the video screens are much more readable and for the first time we could actually make out a lot of the detail on his slides.  He also did a demonstration of how to take a fingerprint from a tumbler and transfer it to an image that could be used in the courtroom.  Of the two lecturers on the tour he really is the most entertaining but we will go and see the Shakespeare man later on and learn about some of the sonnets.
Tonight it is semi-formal and the Headliners afterwards, but at least I don’t have to get into the dreaded dinner suit trousers.  We have had our photographs taken a few times since we have been onboard and if all goes well these will be on this blog when I post it, take no notice of the dates superimposed on the photos as these were added when I re photographed them this morning.  Enjoy, and tomorrow we can tell you all about our day at our last port of call Palma – thanks for the comments, we much appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you had a great day yesterday.....and with all this swimming those trousers are going to be falling off you!
    Julian has set up the deluxe feeder and we have bought extra feeders ...we have nuts, seeds, and a cake filled with meal worms which cost £3.25! julian has sent u pics..
    Weather beautiful yesterday..but litle dull today.
    We cant believe how quickly time goes....have a great day and enjoy Palma and look forward to ur blog tomorrow. Oh and the pics are amazing!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back from a relaxing weekend in Houston. Two Astros game (won one & lost one) and two little league games with Jeff's great nephews. Nice hotel for $48 per night...jeff is doing well with Priceline!. Glad to catch up and see that your trip is going well. Sounds like the ruins are something to behold. Enjoy the next few days. Love, Sam

    ReplyDelete